If you’re a visual learner you probably enjoy watching a video to get started with a new tool or concept. The trouble is, there are so many videos that try and tackle a whole lot all at once.
This post is a list of bite-sized videos and handy tips. Each video introduces a concept or tool in under 15 minutes. Just the right amount of time to get you started, with room to dive into the topic when you feel ready.
Jump in at any point, and learn something new.
Being a great Data Analyst or Developer is more than just churning out code. It’s important to learn how to listen to stakeholders and determine what it is they need … not what they think they need.
You don’t need to be a BA or Project Manager, but having the skills to gather requirements is beneficial
- How to Get Project Requirements from Stakeholders (4:09)
- Defining Functional and Non Functional Requirements (1:37)
- How to Manage Scope Creep (5:35)
- How to Write a Great User Guide (5:55)
- What is a Database (6:20)
- SQL Overview (8:26)
- Learn Basic SQL in 10 Minutes (9:36)
- SQL Indexes (9:57)
- SQL Views and JOINs (8:17)
- What is a Columnar Database (3:39)
- What is Hadoop? (6:14)
- What is a Data Lake? (3:23)
- What is Business Intelligence? (5:39)
- 10 Tips for Clean Code (11:09)
- What makes a great programmer? (11:29)
- Why You Shouldn’t Compare Yourself to Others (5:36)
- Avoiding The Perfectionist Trap (3:48)
- Dealing with Imposter Syndrome (6:48)
- How to De-Escalate an Argument (1:49)
- How to Move Beyond Tutorials (10:02)
- Nobody tells this to beginners … (1:45)
Just pulling a data set out of the database isn’t the end of an analysts job. Interpreting the story behind the numbers and bringing it to life is just as important.
- The Art of Data Visualisation (7:48)
- Graphic Design Fundamentals (6:26)
- How to use Typography (6:24)
- How to use Colour (6:32)
- Design Tips for Dashboards (4:44)
- Data Visualisation at Uber (11:16)
Excel tips and tricks are the perfect candidates for a short video. Excel is used across organisations big and small and will most likely be your visualisation tool if your workplace doesn’t have a speciality tool.
- Useful Shortcuts (8:48)
- How to Import External Data (11:16)
- Absolute v Relative Cell Reference (7:46)
- Pivot Tables (6:22)
- Freeze Panes and View Options (4:22)
- How to Find Inconsistent Data (1:51)
- Transpose Data Three Ways (4:51)
- Make a Drop Down (2:02)
- SUMIFS and COUNTIFS (14:04)
- VLOOKUP (12:16)
- TRIM, PROPER and Text to Columns (13:50)